At Porter Dental Center in Lockport, our dentists can help you look and feel your best with dental crowns.
Dental crowns are a long-term solution for restoring your teeth, and can be made from many materials to suit your needs. Our team is highly rated in the Lockport area because we provide the quality care and compassion you deserve at a price you can afford.
What are dental crowns?
Dental crowns are personalized caps that bond to the top of your existing teeth. They can be made of porcelain, ceramic, metal alloy, or composite resin. Porcelain and ceramic crowns look the most like natural teeth, while metal alloy crowns are more durable.
Your dental crown options:
- Porcelain and ceramic crowns: These two options look the most like natural teeth but may not last as long as other types of crowns.
- Metal alloy: Long-lasting and durable, these crowns are made of gold and other metallic compounds, such as silver, platinum, copper, or tin.
- Porcelain-metal fusion: Stronger than standard porcelain crowns, this option gives you both longevity and a natural appearance.
- Resin: Composite resin crowns were developed to be a more affordable option with the look of natural teeth. They require proper care to extend their life.
- BruxZir®: Made from high-quality Japanese zirconia, this option gives you natural shading for a realistic appearance.
Why do I need a crown?
Dental crowns can be used for many purposes, including protecting and restoring your teeth after years of use, closing gaps in your smile, holding dental bridges in place, preventing mouth nerve damage, replacing worn fillings and crowns, covering chipped or broken teeth, or improving mouth feel and function.
What happens when I get a crown?
The process of getting a dental crown is quick and easy. We’ll take an impression of your tooth and send it to a lab where your personalized crown will be created. While you wait for your new crown, we’ll place a temporary cap over the injured tooth. When your new crown arrives, we’ll replace the temporary cap with it. After your crown is placed, it only requires standard dental care. With proper maintenance, and by avoiding behaviors like teeth grinding and jaw clenching, you can expect your crown to last for approximately 10 years.
If you're ready to improve your smile and mouth function, call Lockport’s own Porter Dental Center at 815-552-2360 today to see if a dental crown is right for you!
If you suffer a cracked or broken tooth, your dentist is likely to recommend a crown, a custom-fitted cap, to cover it and restore the tooth's shape, strength and appearance. Traditional crowns, when cemented into place, fully encase the entire visible portion of a tooth that lies at and above the gum line.